Last weekend I went out for a 20 mile or 32 kilometer run.
I left the house on Saturday at 7am to run for 3 hours and 26 minutes. The temperature was below freezing, the wind was icy and it was snowing. Not ideal conditions, but what has to be done, has to be done. I brought along water and 3 GU’s (salted caramel for the win) and was ready to go.
When you run for almost 3.5 hours you have a lot of time to think…
I greeted every runner I passed and even had someone shout to me: ‘beautiful day right?’. But most of the time I was alone with my thoughts. Here are some things that went through my head:
- I’m cold!
- What a cute rabbit (when you actually see a rabbit).
- Why don’t I have friends who are crazy enough to run 30+ km with me?
- What will I eat when I’m done running?
- When I get home later, should I eat or shower first?
- How many calories have I burned by now?
- I’m tired!
- 2 seconds after I’m tired: I can keep running.
- Why is my playlist not shuffling in the order I want to hear the songs?
- If I run a little faster this will be over sooner.
- If I run a little faster I can’t run another 10 miles.
- A duck!
- Don’t ducks get cold in this weather?
- What kind of bird is this?
- Mile 10, halfway point!
- Is that the same dog I saw earlier or another dog?
- My shoe is too loose, now too tight, now too loose, … Ugh never mind…
- Did I lock my car?
- Should I pee now or wait a little longer?
- I have to pee really bad! Why did I not go earlier?
- Why am I doing this?
- I will be so skinny after this run.
- If I sing out loud now, will anyone hear me?
What are some of the crazy things that go through your head on a (long) run?